Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Cancer sucks.

On my last day of work this week I had a very lovely 70 year old female who was dying of cancer in the back of the ambulance and a 45 minute drive to the hospital. After making her as comfortable as I could, we began conversing and after a more thorough medical history (and extent of her illness) she told me something that I doubt I'll ever forget.

"I never thought growing old was gonna be like this, I thought that if you did good and took care of yourself and didn't get into an accident that you would just die of old age, fall asleep and never wake up. I never thought there would be this much suffering, this much pain...day in and day out!"

Pretty sad to read, but I felt it necessary to document this to make sure I never forget to take each day one at a time.
-Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment